Wednesday, August 27, 2014

"A Promise Kept" chapter 3



                                            CHAPTER THREE

                                    THE SHADOW OF DEATH

                                         Ephesians 6:10-11
“Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might.  Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.”


I went to Glenn’s house to await the return of the brain surgeon.  This was hard on Glenn and Stephanie.  I knew they loved me, but here I was, seriously ill, invading their home of four young children.  Thus began the worst week I experienced in my illness.

I was getting weaker and weaker, had trouble sleeping, and started suffering horrendous dreams and nightmares.  I also endured a few wild headaches.  The headaches were not grossly painful but they were intensely disturbing.  My brain was in disarray!  My emotions, my feelings, my thinking, my peace and my equilibrium were all out of balance.  There was no normalcy. 

I remember suffering through one headache.  It was ‘fuchsia’ in color. This was grotesque!  Instead of appreciating and marveling at the magnificent color, I was repulsed! 

Amidst all of the turmoil, news came that Glenn had a job!  After being let go for a year and a half, his networking paid off.  His new position even allowed him to stay in Manlius.  What a wonderful God!  By staying in Manlius, NY which is 20 minutes from Upstate Hospital in Syracuse, Glenn and his family could continue to visit me with frequency and continue to provide overnight accommodations for Dick and our daughters.  Glenn leases shopping centers and business dropped during the 2008 economic downtime. So, in the midst of my health concerns, God had shown again His love.

All this reminded me not to worry. 

“Are not two sparrows sold for a copper coin?  And not one of them falls to the ground apart from your Father’s will.  But the very hairs of your head are all numbered.  Do not fear therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows.”
Matthew 10: 29 – 31  NKJ

The most horrifying experience that week was the spiritual battle.   I began to realize how real the spiritual world is.  We usually ignore the presence of spiritual realities close to us because we don’t see, hear or touch the spirit.  It is amazing how tied we are to the physical world.  That’s because we live, breathe and talk in the physical world.  We read in the scriptures about angels, the Holy Spirit, God and also about demons and spiritual forces of evil but we tend to ignore them amidst the pressures and timing of our physical world. 

I now know that the spiritual world is as close to us as the air we breathe.  And I’m talking of heavenly angels and the presence of Christ as well as Satan and his demonic forces.  Remember, Paul warned us of the spiritual battles that loom around us in Ephesians 6:10 – 18. 

“Put on the whole armor of God. That you may stand against the wiles of the devil.  For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.  Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.”   NKJ

I experienced this battle first hand.

I had terrible nightmares.  One night I experienced a black, dark cloud encompassing me. In the middle of that darkness, an evil, malevolent force, Satan, was pulling me toward him.  I felt the dangerous presence of the Prince of Darkness trying to capture me.  But at the same time I experienced the reality of being held in the arms of a loving presence, Jesus, who gently, but firmly protected me from Satan’s grasp.  These nightmares occurred frequently and with increasing severity.  I would wake shaken and weak, knowing this battle was going on. 

At one point I even addressed Satan,  “Why do you want me?  I’m not that important.  Why are you fighting so much for me?”

I did not hear Satan speak, but the warmth and security of Jesus convinced me I was safe.

Glenn later told me the family was watching me die that week. 

Glenn’s friend, Dr. Bob, visited me at Glenn’s house.  After a short time with me, they went in another room where Dr. Bob told Glenn I was in a very serious situation.  Dr. Bob observed my symptoms and concluded, without definitive brain biopsy conclusions, that I indeed had brain cancer.

I struggled to speak, could not sleep, had severe brain confusion, had difficulty walking and could not write with my right hand.  I cried a lot and could not find a comfortable position to sleep.

One day, Maya, a friend of Glenn and Stephanie, visited me.  She is a prayer warrior and had been told of my nightmares.  She prayed over me with power. “In the name of Jesus, we demand that Satan leave Janet alone!”

The nightmares stopped and I did not experience further spiritual battles at that time.  Praise the Lord!  One of numerous workings of the Holy Spirit in my life at that time.

While I was at Glenn and Stephanie’s I had the privilege of having our dear friends, Bob and Sue visit me.  Bob is our pastor in Elgin, Ontario.  I was so moved that they drove from Canada to visit me.  Maya’s prayers were powerful and Bob and Sue also prayed over me with intensity.  Bob gently held me in his arms as I lay on the sofa and sobbed. Bob prayed deeply, fervently and powerfully. The presence of Jesus caressed and comforted me. 

Glenn’s children were wonderful that week.  Since Dick and I stayed in the guest bedroom suite, which is on the basement floor of their house, I was confined to that level.  Climbing those stairs was so difficult for me plus everyone was afraid I would fall. 

Every day Emily, in her sweet caring attitude, came downstairs.  “How are you, Nana?  Are you feeling better?”  Luke would hug me quietly.  “I’m so glad you are with us, Nana.”  Grace, the eldest, helped me by handing me a glass of water or getting my blanket.  Sophie, ever the performer, sang her songs for me.


I worried that they would be repulsed by my incapacities and my appearance but instead they seemed not to notice and continued to show me love.  In that way I felt glad they were remembering their “Nana”.

No comments:

Post a Comment