Sunday, May 17, 2020

Heavy Grief........

On May 6, 2020, at 10:30 p.m. I held my husband's face in my hands for the last time. After 61 years of precious marriage, he died at one moment and drew his last breath.  It is a shocking moment when death enters the life of your loved one, especially when it's totally unexpected.  You hear the sounds of raspy breathing and you wonder,  "Is this it? Is this the end of a life I've come to know and love with acceptance?"  And then the breathing suddenly stops....no more gasps, no more intakes, just finality of silence.  You desperately place your hand on his mouth and wait for intakes........but there is nothing......just finality of silence.  I hesitated to call the professional staff, instead to choose these sweet moments of silence of remembering how we lived our lives with such gratitude and intimacy.  How he would purse his lips and blow me a kiss, always reminding me of how much he loved me as we sat there in our black leather lounge chairs, glancing over at each other never forgetting the importance of a meaningful blown kiss.  And now silence, as I ran my hand over his cheek and gently repeated "I love you, Dick......always and forever, I love you."  The cheek remained warm to my touch as his body circulation still took a long time to shut down.  That gave me joy as I knew his physical body ever slowly ceased to pulsate.  He was still with me, physically, reminding me of our life together.  Spiritually, his soul entered a new phase of life as he found himself wrapped in the arms of Jesus.  We had frequently talked about this and with absolute certainty, Dick knew where he was going...into the secure arms of His Saviour.

And now, as I continued to gently smooth his face with my hand, I knew I was gently and lovingly saying "Goodbye".  Dick was older than I when we married, I was 22 years and he was 29 years.  So, I sort of knew, over the years, I would probably outlive him.  But all those years as we loved each other and held on to each other, I never seriously thought about outliving him.  The moment had now come.  I would now outlive him.....for how many years?

With the horrendous outcome of corona virus, I am not even allowed to visit with my family during the days of grief and 'isolation' because I, for one, have been diagnosed with this newly diagnosed virus.  I have been talking on the phone daily but it's not the same as hugs and teary responses.  Unfortunately, the corona virus made me terribly ill myself with daily temperature  elevations and the critical phase of total physical sickly manifestations.  Here I was in deep grief with losing my husband at the same time as managing overwhelming corona virus sickness .  Days went by as I suffered emotionally and physically.  I even wondered  if I would survive.  But God has a plan and I have known how real and vital His plan is.  Just 10 years ago I suffered from inoperable brain cancer and now I survived another all encompassing serious physical ailment.  Days were confusing, time lapses unexplainable as the temperature variations continued.  Ten years ago medical professionals told me I had 7 weeks to live.  And then, miracles of miracles, Jesus appeared to me and said "You will be healed" and here I am......another act of God's amazing providence.  True, I was left with right-sided weakness but alive and able to live out God's purpose for my life!

It's been over a week now since I said "Goodbye" to Dick.  His body has been cremated. within 4 days of death, which is a decision we made 20 years ago.  Having made the decision to dwell in our lakeside home in Elgin, ONT upon retirement, we knew it would facilitate death matters when crossing international lines.  So now his ashes sit in an urn where they will ultimately be placed in the Wyckoff Reformed Church, NJ cemetery in the Weisiger family plot, along side my ashes.

Now my grief is settling down, never over, but now a quiet grief that will live in my heart forever, as my one true love dwells in Heaven awaiting my arrival.   "I love you, Dick.....always and forever, I love you."

14 comments:

  1. Beautifully said, Janet. Thank you for sharing your personal story with us. We love you, Ellie and Joe

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heartfelt condolences to you. Barbara no longer has a computer but I will let her know. With love, Jean Baier Swaffer

    ReplyDelete
  3. My soul and spirit are with you Janet. I'm thankful that I've known both you and Dick. I pray that Jesus will continue to fill your soul with the promise of purpose until He calls you home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing your heart with those who know you.
    God is watching over you and will keep you at peace Janet.
    Love and warm hugs, Florence

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went back a couple posts to take another look at the picture you had posted of you and Dick. He impacted my life, and was an amazing blessing to all of us here in Elgin. Your words in this post are so well put together and sure helps all of us remember the glory of the arms of Jesus, but the earthly pain we all feel. Thank you for sharing Janet. Well Done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Janet, our love, prayers and hugs go out to you for this loss of the love of your life. You and Dick have been very precious to us when we met in 9:15 Sunday School class. Thank you for that friendship. Our hearts go out to you with this corona virus. May God continue to be so real to you as He always has been. We pray for your healing. Norm & Evie Lyzenga

    ReplyDelete
  7. MOM---well said. This brought tears to my eyes. I know Dad is in heaven waiting for YOU! I cannot wait to see you in Michigan...
    With all my love, Glenn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Janet, Steve and I offer our deepest condolences. We got to know you and Dick in CBS classes. What a joy to study God's Word with you. We saw your deep love for Jesus and complete faith in an eternity spent with Him. One day, we'll gather at Jesus feet and sing praises and worship our Savior together. Your love for Dick is an example to all of us. Bless you, dear one. Until we meet again. Karla Cooley

    ReplyDelete
  9. Janet,
    I share in your grief, as my mom passed away last October. I hope to see you again this side of glory, perhaps in the Elgin, Ontario area once Canada and US are back on friendly terms after the pandemic panic subsides. I am grateful that you have survived this new virus as well. Best regards, Paul

    ReplyDelete
  10. Janet, I am so sorry! I so much admired the love you both shared. It was quite obvious that he adored you. I'm so glad I got to meet him. Such a sweet, gentle soul, but I'm so sorry I can't visit or meet with you and give you a hug. I'm also sorry you had to suffer through the virus but I'm so glad you're okay. Please call me if you want to talk 616.648.0787. Such a beautifully written piece.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My sincerest condolences Janet on the l9st of your loving husband. What beautiful gentleman he was. I work at Vista Springs where you reside and have personally seen what this has done to many of us. And yes, God had a plan for you and for all us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Janet, I am so sorry to hear that you lost your soulmate. Truly very sad. My heart goes out to you and your family. Wish I could give you a hug. Sending our Love.
    Amy and Tyler

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mrs. Weisiger, this is a beautiful and inspirational tribute, not only to your husband, but to the gift of love given to you both by our Father. With love, Jennifer

    ReplyDelete