Monday, August 15, 2022

MEMORIES

 Those of us in our 80s and 90s can look back in our lives to many memories.  When you have lived this long we gather tons of memories.  Many days as I sit and think I am amazed that I remember what happened to me pre-kindergarten.  I have pictures in my mind the way we dressed, the remarks that people spoke, and thoughts I had.  At this age I am just spell bound at how my mind has worked for these 86 years.  Many of these memories are filled with joy, but of course, since life has difficulties I also remember the 'bad times'.

Let's start back in 1941.  I was in kindergarten and my teacher was Miss Wilkins, who was strict but kind.  If you look on the calendar you will see that December 7,1941 was on a Sunday.  That was the beginning of WWII when Japan attacked Pearl Harbor.  That Sunday evening our family attended a pre-Christmas church service.  That evening when we arrived home we suddenly heard the news on our radio.  My parents were upset and I wondered what all this meant. The next day, Monday, I was sitting in my kindergarten class and Miss Wilkins had the New York Times open in her lap.  She then, very seriously, told us Japan had bombed Pearl Harbor and that President Roosevelt declared war on Japan.  I remember how our class of 5 and 6 year olds sat there quietly as she read the news.  I will never forget that moment.  War?  What did that mean to us in Ridgefield Park, NJ?  Guns roaring down our streets?  Enemy bombers cruising in the sky?  As the war in Europe and Japan became a reality, our Roosevelt School scheduled surprise 'Alarms' when every class had to march down to the basement, kneel down on the cold cement floor and cover our heads with our arms to protect us if and when we ever faced bombing.  That was scary but we obeyed. Then walking home from school, I would glance up at the sky looking for enemy bombers.  But I do remember going home and in my house I felt safe and my worries disappeared.  My home was filled with love and that protected me.

A wonderful memory occurred in 1950.  I remember thinking what a marvelous date to be graduating eighth grade- 1950.  A year that marked a half century.  In June, 1950, at my elementary school, Roosevelt School, all 8 grades were assembled in the auditorium for a special assembly of honoring our graduating class from 8th grade in 1950.  It was an exciting day, knowing that certain students would be recognized for their high grades and special achievements.  Our class was all sitting there happy about graduating from 8th grade, some of us glancing at our fellow classmates wondering if a certain boy was going to invite me to the first dance at the High School.  We were all pretty excited.  The principal of Ridgefield Park High School, Mr. Shields, arose and made an announcement.  "This year we are giving a new reward.  This is 'The Barbiere Award for Teenage Success' and the winner is Janet Bird!  I sat there and suddenly realized he mispronounced my name.  Mr. Shields said 'Bird' instead of 'Baird'.  Everyone in my class was laughing but I stood up in a daze and walked to the front of the auditorium where our family friend and neighbor, Walter Watson, handed me the formal award document.  Wow, what did this mean?  I remembered that I had written a beautiful story of a spiritual vision that appeared to me as a young girl.  In that vision I was sitting in my back yard, and as I gazed up at the sky, I felt the presence of the Lord.  Not totally understanding what was happening, I wrote it all down.  Sitting there at that time I experienced incredible peace and love.  I believed that God was speaking to me to tell me He loved me.  I remember looking Heavenward and feeling moved by this message.  So I wrote about it.  And here it was 1950 and I entered that story in the contest.  The judges made the decision and I was honored.

Do you have special memories?  Think about them and then write down what you remember.  Your memories will move someone who is much younger today.  Memories are so special and so meaningful as our world moves faster and faster.  The Lord has given you those memories.  Don't hide them.  Share them and your life will be blessed.


No comments:

Post a Comment