Friday, September 5, 2014

A Promise Kept, Chapter 2







                                                 CHAPTER TWO

                                          CONFUSION AND CALAMITY

                                                   Psalm 69: 1
                “Save me, O God!  For the waters have come up to my neck.”



The winter of 2009 was spent in Michigan.  We took time buying furniture, decorating the condo, making some improvements and enjoying new friends.  We left in late April 2010, anxious to return to the daffodils and tulips I had planted on our Canadian property.

A few weeks after we arrived in Canada, I started experiencing periods of unexplained fatigue and depression.  I rested, pushed myself to garden, and tried to figure what was wrong.  As a nurse, (I was a graduate of Columbia University- Presbyterian Hospital School of Nursing), I constantly attempted to self-diagnose myself.

Finally, in early June, I was planting some marigolds in the garden when I suddenly fell over from my kneeling position onto the ground and could not get up.  Dick immediately came to my side to help me.  But I did not want to leave that spot until the marigolds were planted.  Wasn’t that more important than my physical condition?  I thought so.

About a week later, I was taking a bath in our upstairs whirlpool tub.  I did not have the strength to get out of the tub.  Dick heard my calls and came to help me.  Something definitely was wrong with me but I could not figure it out.

In mid June our daughter, Diana, arrived from Michigan with her family for their vacation days.  We were excited to see them and I struggled to get off the bed and greet them.  I sat on the porch, stood up to welcome them, then retreated to the bedroom.  Diana told me later that I looked awful and she knew I was not well. 

The next morning I had difficulty walking and suddenly realized I could not hold a pen in my right hand.  With family persuasion I phoned my doctor in Watertown, NY.  I was crying when Elaine, the nurse, responded to my call.  Elaine, who I had known for years, told me, “Get down here to Watertown Hospital ER immediately.  Please Janet, don’t delay.”

When we arrived at the hospital I was very weak.  Dick found a wheelchair and I was ushered in to the ER admitting nurse.  I remember crying throughout the interview process.  I was feeling so miserable and I just wanted someone to say, “We know what the problem is and we’ll fix it.”  I entered the ER, got into a bed and waited for directions.  Presently I was told I was to undergo an MRI.  That procedure was comfortable and I was returned to my space in the ER. 

Very soon I recognized my doctor coming down the hall toward me with a paper in his hand.  He had a look of compassion on his face but also communicated that he was about to share with me something very grave.  He told me the MRI showed some suspicious fluid in my thalamus.  He was sending me directly to Upstate Medical Center in Syracuse by ambulance.  The thalamus?  Where was that?  And what did ‘suspicious fluid’ mean?

I remember that ride.  Noisy, bumpy, weaving in and out of traffic.  But we arrived safely and I was immediately admitted to the Syracuse hospital.  At that point I had no idea where Dick was.

Actually, Dick had returned to Canada, picked up some extra clothes, phoned Glenn, our son, to tell him he would be spending a few days with him in Manlius, New York (just outside Syracuse) because I was in the hospital.  Diana drove to Syracuse with him.

While Diana stayed at Glenn and Stephanie’s that week she opened up Carepages so that our family and friends would be informed of my illness.  Our friends were concerned and immediately started active prayer chains.

The family was shocked.  I was always the picture of health and energy and no one could believe I was seriously ill.  At that moment I was not aware of the gravity of my physical condition.  I was admitted to the neurological floor for observation.  The nursing staff was wonderful. 

Since I had trouble walking, I took it upon myself to get out of my hospital bed and walk the halls myself, holding on to the wall railing with my left hand.  My right hand and arm were useless.  I knew that one had to keep moving to avoid muscle deterioration.  The physical therapist spotted me and brought me a walker to assist me. No one wanted me to fall.  I was beginning to experience some concern because I felt my body weakening and losing coordination.  But I was determined to help myself and not give up. 

At this point in my hospitalization I was being evaluated.  The doctors were not certain of my diagnosis.  They were looking at three possibilities.  Either I had a stroke, Lyme disease in the brain or cancer in the brain.  I had another MRI and three spinal tests, but nothing appeared conclusive for an accurate diagnosis.  One of the doctors I met was a renowned brain surgeon, who suggested a brain biopsy, which would accurately determine the diagnosis.  He stated he himself would carefully examine the biopsy findings.  He gave me the satisfaction that his expertise would be trustworthy.

At the end of June, Diana’s husband, Dave, and their boys Danny and Will, drove from Canada to Syracuse to pick up Diana to return to Michigan.  About this time Carin and her family arrived in Canada for their vacation days.  Carin’s husband, Kurt, immediately drove Carin to Watertown, NY where Glenn picked her up to take her to Syracuse.  Both Carin and Diana plus our daughter Beth, who lived in the Adirondacks, and our son Glenn were very upset and wondered what was going on with me and my health.

The testing and the evaluation continued.  The spinals were not painful but I had to remain on my back for hours after each spinal to prevent horrific spinal headaches.

I remember I had just returned to my room from the second spinal when our son-in-law, Kurt and the children, Jacob, Hannah, and Jared came to visit me and pick up our daughter Carin so they could return to Michigan.  I hated lying on my back and complained bitterly.  I later realized this was not a good example for Carin’s kids.

Carin told me that their family would take our beloved chocolate lab back to Michigan with them.  Since they already owned a chocolate lab, Becca, who was actually Bonnie’s cousin, I knew our dog would be well cared for.  Of course, at this point I still thought I would resume my normal life very soon.

It was now the end of June and the brain surgeon was scheduled to take a week’s vacation through the Fourth of July weekend.  The remaining staff doctors decided to discharge me from the hospital with no procedure planned.


I did wonder what was going on.  Had they given up on me?  Why did they discharge me when I was in deteriorating health?  No answers and the doctors didn’t seem to know what to do with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment