Tuesday, September 9, 2014

A Promise Kept chapter 4








                                          CHAPTER FOUR

                                            PRAISE GOD!

                                      2 Corinthians 12: 9
“And He said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.’  Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.” 
                        



On July 6th the brain surgeon returned from his vacation and we went to his office.  Glenn had made an appointment the week before.  I had to be wheeled into the office in a wheelchair.  My right arm was very weak, not working well, my right leg was incapable of walking and my speech was slurred.

I sat there looking directly in front of the surgeon and pleaded with him to perform the brain biopsy so that my diagnosis would be confirmed.  I told him,  “Please help me.  I feel like Hell”!  Here I was, a ‘proper’ woman, who never swore, telling the surgeon through tears that I was in critical condition. All that I wanted was that the doctors would find out what was wrong with me and then ‘fix it’.

The surgeon looked at me, deep concern in his eyes.  He agreed to perform the biopsy and I was immediately re-admitted back to Upstate Medical Center.  The biopsy was scheduled the next day.  I was prepped, head partially shaved and waited.

Little did I fully comprehend exactly how the biopsy was performed.  Later I discovered the surgeon uses a drill.  (I remember thinking, “I hope he doesn’t use a drill like Dick has in the basement!”)  The surgeon drills through the scalp, the brain and (in my case) the thalamus, which is actually located right in the middle of the brain.  The thalamus is composed of two walnut shaped entities, one on the right and one on the left of the center of the brain.  My problem was located in the left side.  Thus, I showed weakening of the right-sided body motor skills.  As you can imagine there is a degree of risk in this procedure.  The thalamus governs speech, motor skills and body temperature.  In order for a biopsy to be successful, it means that a sample of brain tissue is actually removed from the brain and examined. 

I have since learned that the brain is made up of fatty tissue.  In time, if the body is healthy, the brain can heal and the nerves regenerate.  That is what I believed would happen to my body.  After all, Jesus told me “You will be healed, BUT in my own time frame.”

Those words of Jesus reverberated in my head.  Even though I experienced my body becoming weaker, I clung to those words.  That gave me a positive outlook.  That told me, yes, don’t worry, Janet.  Jesus told you healing would take place!

I thought back on my reaction to Jesus’ visit that night of May 26.  As was customary in my life I tried to tell God what to do!  He came to give me a message of hope in the face of horrendous brain cancer, and I had told Him, “I’m not that sick.  Go help someone who is really sick!”  How dare I respond that way.  Thank goodness, God, in His ultimate love and grace, still ministered to me.

Syracuse, New York is located on US Highway 81.  Unfortunately, there were a number of serious car accidents the next few days.  Not surprising, since this was post July 4 weekend.  The automobile accidents resulted in severe injuries including head and brain trauma.  They were emergencies.  Consequently, my biopsy was put on hold.  Meantime, of course, I was NPO (nothing to eat).  By the second day, our daughter, Beth, put some pressure on the nursing staff and persuaded them to schedule my surgery ASAP!

A few hours later, finally on July 8, I was on my way to the OR (operating room).  I was totally sedated of course, so I experienced no pain or discomfort. Around the time of the biopsy procedure, I experienced yet another dream.

In the dream I was in a tunnel, sitting in a wheelchair, and I knew instinctively that I was going to Heaven.  There were other figures in the tunnel, all cloaked so that I could not see any faces.  Everyone was moving in the same direction toward my right and everyone was quiet.  Suddenly, something/someone turned my wheelchair around and I immediately returned to the hospital.  My interpretation is that I was close to death but the Lord knew He wanted me back on earth because He had a special assignment for me.

The surgical procedure went smoothly with no complications.  The surgeon kept his word and performed his task with professional excellence.  I was under sedation for about three hours.  A very precise biopsy, the size of a nickel, was successful.

I awoke in the hallway outside the OR.  The surgeon and his assistant spoke to me and drew my attention to my family – Dick, Glenn, his wife Stephanie and our daughter Beth, who were all down the hall in the family waiting area.  Dick acted as if he was in shock.  So much had happened in just two weeks that it was difficult for him to comprehend my condition.  I especially remember Glenn approaching me and smiling.  I had great difficulty speaking but gave the family some indication that, for the moment, I was okay.

The diagnosis still was not certain but I was told the surgeon would carefully review the specimen obtained in the biopsy within the next 24 hours and give a diagnosis.  Thus another wait.

The next morning the doctors made their early morning rounds.  I was not in good shape, both emotionally and physically.  One of the questions they asked me, typical of questions normally asked of patients post-surgically, “Who is the President of the US?”  I remember thinking, “Oh, what is his name?  I know it begins with an ‘O’ but what is it?”  I blurted out, “Osama bin Laden”.  The doctors laughed and I knew I had failed!

After several other comments I heard the surgeon stating, “Her right side is weak because of the nerve damage from the brain biopsy.”  My inner spirit immediately responded, “But you told me, Lord, that I would be healed.  And I believe that.  I know you will heal me!”  Of course the doctors did not hear me, but I felt so positive.

I remember the daily questioning.  Sometimes I was asked simple math questions but I had great difficulty answering them.  I wanted to say, “I’ve always been bad at math.  Ask me some Bible questions instead.”  I thought these things but was unable to speak them.

In fact, I had moments when I completely fell apart and wept.  I was unable to respond to questions.  I could hardly speak, could not verbally communicate my feelings and just sat there and sobbed.  When that happened, the doctors just quietly left the room. 

My brain was in a state of emotional and physical turmoil and it was impossible to think or talk logically.  Such is the case with brain injuries.  No one really knows how or what you are feeling unless they have been there.  In my case, I could struggle to think but could not articulate.  My sensitive nature created a jumble of emotions and confusion.  It was hard to cope with reality and especially difficult to ascertain my future.

In reality my right side was immobile.  My hand and arm could not move and my leg just lay there.  But I kept believing in God’s promise that I would heal and knew it was only a matter of time.  I realized that nerves take time to heal but I also knew from my nursing background that it was indeed possible.  I trusted in God’s promise.  God has a record of promises recorded in the Bible so I knew without a doubt He would keep His promise of May 26.  “You will be healed, BUT in my own time frame.”

The next evening, July 9, Dick had left the hospital and went to Glenn’s for dinner and rest.  Glenn sat with me in the hospital room.  The oncologist entered with his assistant and stated that the surgeon confirmed the diagnosis of CNS (central nervous system) lymphoma in the thalamus.  In other words, cancer of the brain.  The oncologist spoke gravely, emphasizing the seriousness of my illness.  He paused, and then stated, “You have seven weeks to live.”

I heard Glenn crying but I sat there in my bed feeling an incredible spirit of peace.  At first I thought, “Oooh, seven weeks is not very long.” But then, “I know where I’m going, God will take care of me.  It’s okay.”  I then said loud and clear, “PRAISE GOD!”

At this I heard a muffled cry of wonder.  I realized this came from the oncologist’s assistant.  Then I added, “God is good!”  I felt the Holy Spirit leading me to make these comments.  I truly was not afraid of death, but yet ringing in my head was that promise of healing from Jesus.


The oncologist added that they would look for a chemotherapy that hopefully would work for me.  Then he and the assistant left the room.

No comments:

Post a Comment