Thursday, September 25, 2014

A Promise Kept Chapters 5 and 6





                                                 CHAPTER FIVE

                                             DANCING FLOWERS

                                               Philippians 1: 21-23
“For to me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain.  But if I live on in the flesh, this will mean fruit from my labor; yet what I shall choose I cannot tell.  For I am hard-pressed between the two, having a desire to depart and be with Christ, which is far better.”



As I look back on that moment I realize I did not respond the way most people do when they hear the diagnosis of cancer.  The typical reaction is sheer terror!  The cancer victim responds as if hearing a death sentence and loses hope.  The diagnosis of ‘cancer’ looms above one like a guillotine ready to totally snuff out a life.

I was not terrified.  The Lord somehow shielded me from that deathly reality.  All I kept thinking was, “Good, they found out what is wrong and now they’ll fix it.”

Even when the oncologist told me very pointedly that, without treatment, my life span would not exceed seven weeks!  At seventy-four years of age, I felt strongly supported by the presence of Jesus and the knowledge that I would be in His presence alive or dead.  I had absolute security of my future after death.  I knew where I was going.  There was never a doubt in my mind.  My assurance is so complete that I pray others may have the same security.

My dad died at age 67 and my mother died at 93.  Both died in their senior years.  I would have loved for my dad to live longer, to see his grandchildren grow to adult years but he lived a long, full, productive life.

My mother was blessed in attending the weddings of our four children and holding precious great-grandbabies.  But her time had come.

Benjamin Franklin said, “There are two things that we can count on.  Death and taxes.”  Yes, we all die.  That is a reality.  But our society denies death, spends millions trying to delay it and does little to prepare for the ‘next life’. 

We have no idea when our death will come.  Even when given a death sentence or estimated time of death, we really don’t know when exactly that day will be.  Therefore I believe we have to be ready and prepared, always looking forward to eternity.

Since my illness, I have given much thought and prayer to ‘dying’.  First of all, as a Christian, I joyfully anticipate my graduation to eternity.  The word ‘graduation’ is appropriate because this earthly life is a school to prepare us and educate us.  God did not create us as robots, but gave us free will to choose and believe Jesus as the Savior and Son of God or deny God and His message of love and salvation.  We learn much in our earthly life to help us make the most important decision in our lifetime.

We are pulled to stay in this earthly life because our bodies instinctively desire to stay alive.  I would love to live long enough to see my grandchildren graduate from college and university and I would love to attend their weddings.  It would be wonderful to hold great-grandbabies.  I would love to enjoy many more years with my loving husband.  But there is one totally guaranteed fact.  My earthly life will end.  When?  I do not know, but I am ready.



The next morning, the oncologist came rushing into my room.  “We have found a chemotherapy for you.  We will begin as soon as we transfer you to the oncology floor.” 

At the time, I was talking with the hospital chaplain, a lovely, spirit filled woman who showed great compassion for me.  The news of the oncologist thrilled me and I knew that the Lord was actively working!

I closed my eyes and it was then that I had an incredible vision.  I saw the throne that Jesus had been sitting on in my dream of May 26.  This time the throne, again laden with radiant beams of sparkling gold, was filled with colorful blooms of flowers, roses, gladiolus, daisies, mums, and lilies.  To my sheer wonder, the throne, festooned with flowers, was tipping back and forth as if ‘dancing’ in place.  It was a gift of joy laid at my feet, rejoicing in the fact that the doctors had finally discovered what was wrong with me and now a way had been found to ‘fix it’.

I shared with the chaplain this beautiful vision and we rejoiced together.





















                                          CHAPTER SIX

                                 THE PRAYERS OF THE FAITHFUL

                                        1 Thessalonians 5:17
                                   “Pray without ceasing.”
            
At the time I did not comprehend all that was going on but later I learned the precise information the oncologist, Dr. C., discussed with Glenn the evening of July 9th.

Dr. C. reported that he was 99% sure that my diagnosis was CNS lymphoma.  He emphasized that this cancer is very aggressive but rare.  The cancer was located in a really bad spot in the brain, the thalamus, which is the central relay motor part of the brain.  Dr. C. emphasized that if left untreated, I would only live seven weeks, at the most.  The complete pathology report would give direction on the chemotherapy to be used.

As I later digested this information I praised God that I lived in the 21st century where so many advances in cancer research have occurred.  If this cancer had come 20 or 30 years ago, I would not be here.

Since this type of cancer is so aggressive, I can now understand why my symptoms hit me so suddenly and quickly escalated to my devastating condition.  When I look back, I realize that in the third week of May we had traveled to Adirondack, New York to see our granddaughter Kirsten dance in her ballet.  We stayed at a Bed and Breakfast that had a narrow staircase going up to the second floor.  At our home I planted annuals in my planters surrounding our house and garden beds that May and entertained friends.  At the time, I lacked my usual energy but I fought the fatigue with my customary determination.  But by the middle of June, only a few weeks later, my body was in horrible shape and I entered the hospital.

At the end of June, Kurt brought our laptop to the hospital.  Diana had begun a Carepages file so that friends and family could stay updated on my condition.  That proved such a blessing.  To be able to read messages from so many people in Canada, Michigan, New Jersey, New York, Virginia and other places all over the country, moved me to tears.  To realize all these people were approaching the throne of God with prayers and petitions was wonderful.  I did not feel alone.  Every day I asked whoever was in the room with me to read the messages.  A true comfort.

On July 10, there was a lot of activity.  Beth, who lives in the Adirondacks, had come to Syracuse and had been staying in my room for a few nights.  Glenn was there frequently and of course Dick was there every day.  Glenn phoned both Diana and Carin to tell them of the oncologist’s dire report so they drove in from Michigan.  That afternoon they were all there in my room.  I was so surprised to see all my children gathered there.  They greeted me with smiles and hugs as if this was a planned family reunion.  It never entered my mind that the reason they were there was because I had just been told I had seven weeks to live!

While all this reunion was going on, in walked a dear friend from Canada, Charlene and her daughter.  I had known Charlene as a powerful prayer warrior and here she was in my hospital room at the same time as Dick and all our children plus Glenn’s wife, Stephanie.  Charlene led us in a powerful prayer to our precious Lord and joining hands around my bed I felt God’s loving presence.  Surely He was caring for me and would heal me.
Later Diana read this verse, “O Lord my God, I cried out to you for help, and you restored my health.” Psalm 30: 2.

One evening when Glenn was with me, I talked to him again about the vision of Jesus on May 26.  I told him I had thought more about the sphere that Jesus held in his left hand while sitting on the golden throne.  The ‘sphere’ had brought questions to my mind.  What did it mean?  Why did Jesus hold this sphere?  Did it represent some special message for me? 

I told Glenn I had begun to conclude that, of course, the ‘sphere’ was the Holy Spirit!  And the message for me was that Jesus had this gift for me to assist me in my battle with cancer.  The Spirit is invincible and all-powerful.  With all the frightening medical and emotional turmoil surrounding me, this realization that the Holy Spirit was with me and given to me filled me with joy and promise.

The evening of July 10, I was moved to the Oncology floor.  The plan was to surgically place a ‘port’ in my right upper chest wall to facilitate the administration of the chemotherapy.   This was done successfully while I was under minimal anesthesia.  As a former nurse I found it fascinating to listen to the conversation of the doctors during the procedure and be able to understand what they were doing.

The family continued their attentive care, staying with me at night and during the day.  As I look back on this, I am astounded at how I craved my family’s constant presence.  Here I was, an independent woman who was not fazed by speaking in front of thousands of people, who loved ‘new’ situations, who walked into a room of strangers and loved reaching out to each one. Now I was afraid to spend a single minute alone in a hospital bed.

The family wrote daily blogs for my Carepages and many of them are poignant.
                                                   
Carin wrote a super blog on July 10 emphasizing the power of prayer:

Maya and Will came and prayed over the entire room blessing everything here as well as the entire hospital and city! They are prayer warriors for Christ!
Mom was able to spend a large chunk of the day sitting up in a lounge chair and enjoyed several foot massages!
I will be spending the night with Mom so we ask you to pray for a peaceful night of rest for her in preparation for the big days ahead.
-Carin


And Glenn wrote one on July 11:

Mom spoke to us today about how she is going to write a book about this entire experience. How Jesus spoke to her in a dream, the cancer that has entered into her brain, and how Jesus will HEAL her. Mom said this afternoon, "She wants all to know that Jesus loves everyone and can heal everyone!"
Please remember that Mom frequently asks us to read her all of your messages. Keep them coming! Her smile is radiant!   
-Glenn

                                                  
Glenn wrote again on July 12:

Mom just ate a great dinner and we had some wonderful prayer with our friend Maya. She is a strong prayer warrior. Mom has requested that we ALL pray BIG tonight for Mom's spiritual strength. Please pray that Mom stays focused on her dream and she continues to look at Jesus' face. The spiritual warfare that we face everyday and what Mom is facing NOW can be conquered if we all pray for Mom's faith to remain strong and focused on Jesus.
-Glenn

The next day Diana added this:

Your prayers worked! Mom had a great night and was able to stay focused on the face of Jesus. We found some wonderful music on her laptop and kept it looping throughout the night. One song really made a difference... it was about Jesus as the vine. We found the scripture (John 15) that painted this beautiful image. I read these verses to her throughout the night and she visibly relaxed. She told me that the picture of Jesus from her dream was dancing in joy! I am so amazed at her continued, positive nature. She is completely trusting in God.

Dr. C.'s assistant (Dr. S.) stopped in to see Mom this morning. She was amazed to see her already up and in the chair! Mom has been determined to get stronger and was even doing exercises last night at 2:00 am! She is moving more independently, a fact that makes her feel so much better. Dr. S. said that we need to wait for one more test, but until then "a journey of a million miles starts with one small step." (her words)
Hugs to all of Mom's fans,
-Diana


Carin continued with the following:

Answer to prayer continues! Dr. S. just came in and the results have come in and are conclusive. She will start chemo sometime tonight. They first have to get her fluids up to a certain degree through an IV. This will be started within the next 2 hours. We ask you to specifically pray to have her fluid level at the appropriate place so chemo can start. God is so good and even in this difficult situation has brought many blessings to us all. Our Savior takes care of all our needs big and small.

Yesterday, Glenn had forgotten his parking pass and was grumbling about having to pay for parking because of forgetting it. As Glenn, Dad, and I were leaving the hospital, we were quietly walking down the hall and a gentleman was doing the same about 10 feet ahead of us. Suddenly, he stopped walking and turned around and asked us if we have been in the hospital for a long time. We explained about the many days. He smiled and handed us a free parking pass!

God takes care of the little things as well as the big things. He is good and keeps his promises. Hebrews 10:23, “Without wavering, let us hold tightly to the hope we say we have, for God can be trusted to keep his promise.”
-Carin


No comments:

Post a Comment